Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Preparing Irish Lamb Stew
Irish Lamb Stew
- 1 pound lean boneless lamb, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 4 medium-size leeks, chopped or one large yellow onion chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6-8 medium-size carrots, sliced
- 4 medium-sized parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch (or all-purpose flour)
- In a Dutch oven, combine lamb, broth, leaks, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and parsnips. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes more or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Stir in the dill weed.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 cup water and cornstarch, stir into meat mixture. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken. Cook and stir for two minutes more or until thickened. Discard Bay leaf; adjust seasonings, if desired.
You might also like these St Patrick’s Day favorites…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.