I love this Ina recipe ~ easy and tasty. One of the reasons I love her. In an excerpt from Ina’s book, Barefoot Contessa, How Easy is That? she writes about this Easy Parmesan Risotto recipe:
Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
While not technically a classic Italian risotto, this sure is easy. I found the process for this recipe in a book by Donna Hay, the wonderful cookbook writer from Australia. I make it with my homemade chicken stock, lots of freshly grated Parmesan, and frozen peas. Risotto in the oven? You have to make this to believe it!
How to make easy Parmesan risotto
About arborio rice
Arborio rice is an Italian short-grain rice named after the town of Arborio in Italy where it was originally cultivated. It is high in a starch called amylopectin requiring a long, slow cooking time for a firmer, chewier and creamy result.
After preheating the oven to 350 F degree, add the Arborio rice and 4 cups of chicken broth to a heavy Dutch oven.
Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
While the rice is baking, grate 1 cup of Parmesan cheese.
After 45 minutes of baking, remove the rice from the oven.
Add the remaining cup of chicken stock.
Pour in the wine and add the Parmesan, butter, salt and pepper.
Stir vigorously for two to three minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy. It should form a soft, creamy mound on a dinner plate; not stiff and gluey or run across the plate.
Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.
Easy Parmesan Risotto
recipe source: Ina Garten
- 1½ cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups simmering chicken stock, preferably homemade, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the rice and 4 cups of the chicken stock in a Dutch oven.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente.
- Remove from the oven, add the remaining cup of chicken stock, the Parmesan, wine, butter, salt and pepper, and stir vigorously for two to three minutes, until the rice is thick and creamy.
- Add the peas and stir until heated through. Serve hot.
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.