Potato & Ham Soup
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth (reduced sodium if you prefer to add your own salt)
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks
- small sprig of fresh rosemary, chopped or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- hefty dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups ham, cooked and diced
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
In a Dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium heat; add celery, carrot and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth, potatoes, rosemary and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat, cover and simmer gently until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
In a measuring cup or bowl, whisk together the milk and flour. Pour into the soup, whisking to combine. Gently simmer and stir 5 minutes more. Stir in ham and parsley and heat through. Adjust seasoning.