How to make Italian sausage tortellini soup
Making the soup isn’t difficult at all, but does require lots of chopping. Put on some Andrea Bocelli or Luciano Pavarotti music, grab your cutting board and chef knife and make the process entertaining.
Jarred minced garlic
Top each serving with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
- 1 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used canned diced tomatoes)
- 1 (8 ounces) can tomato sauce
- 1 large zucchini, chopped or sliced (I used frozen spinach and added it with the tortellini)
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or water
- 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 10 oz cheese tortellini
- 3 tbsp fresh parsley or 1 tbsp dried
- salt and pepper
- fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large soup pot, crumble the sausage and cook over medium heat until no longer pink, breaking apart the sausage as it cooks.
- Drain the sausage in a colander or on paper towels, and remove most of the drippings from the pot.
- Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic to the pot and cook 1 minute more.
- Return sausage to pot, then add broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrot, bell pepper, wine, basil, and oregano.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Add tortellini and cook until tender using the package for recommended cooking time.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.