Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Galette
Yield: One 9-inch pie.
For the crust
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg yolk, plus 1 large egg, for the egg wash
- 1/4 to ˙1/2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon water or milk, for the egg wash
For the filling
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch thick half-moons
- 1 1/2 pounds cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls or fresh mozzarella
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make the crust for Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Galette:
In a food processor, pulse the flour, Parmesan cheese, salt, and butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add 1 egg yolk; pulse to combine.
Drizzle in ¼ cup ice water, and pulse until dough just comes together. (If dough is still crumbly, add up to ¼ cup more water, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
Form dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic.
Refrigerate or freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
Make the filling Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Galette:
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium.
Add the onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the zucchini; cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden and liquid has been released, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Halve one-third of the tomatoes. Stir halved and whole tomatoes, both cheeses, basil, and flour into onion-zucchini mixture.
Season with salt and pepper.
Shaping the crust shell
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 13-inch round and about ¼-inch thick.
Make seven 3-inch-long cuts around edge of dough, evenly spaced.
Transfer to dough to a 9-inch pie plate.
Brush the dough shell with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
Transfer the filling to the shell.
Fold in flaps of dough, slightly overlapping.
Refrigerate until dough is firm, about 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk 1 tablespoon of water (or milk) with the remaining egg and brush over crust.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Baking the Cheesy Tomato Zucchini Galette
Bake the pie on a foil or parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 45 minutes.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Making the crust without a food processor
I do not have a food processor so I made the crust in a bowl using a pastry cutter.
You might also like…
Each issue of our Newsletter is timely and helpful and jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.