An Alberta Clipper dropping about a foot of snow seemed a good reason to set a winter’s white table for a special lunch with friends. Early January can be a dreary time weather-wise and even a little depressing after the busy holidays. Friends time is a great mood booster and this menu is lovely.
Winter’s white centerpiece
I actually love the color white. It dominates my home and I especially love it when snow covers the ground and every window is extra bright filling each room. Some may feel white is boring but it is the perfect backdrop for splashes of any color you want to add.
Winter table centerpiece
Remember my re-purposed light globe centerpiece? Here it is with white flowers and pine branches adding a warm glow to the table on this blustery day. Even thought poinsettia are associated with Christmas, I think they echo the winter theme.
Winter’s white Lunch Menu
- Quiche Lorraine
- Powdery white snowflake rolls
- Salad greens
- Seasonal fruit plate of grapes and kiwi
- White cake with buttercream frosting and sprinkled with coconut
I have several favorite Quiche recipes. This is the one I turn to often because it is easy to put together with items I usually have on hand and because it is very good. The recipe was given to me from a friend way back in 1977 when we lived in Ohio.
Here are the recipes
Fluffy Snowflake Rolls Recipe
- 1 large egg plus enough water to measure 1 cup
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 3 Tbs. Nonfat dry Milk
- 3 Tbs. sugar
- 2 tsp. Bread Machine Yeast
Add all of the ingredients in the order recommended by manufacturer of your bread machine (usually wet ingredients followed by dry ingredients and ending with the yeast).
Set the machine to dough setting. When complete, remove dough from machine and allow to rest, covered for 5 minutes.
Quiche Lorraine Recipe
- 9-inch pie crust
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 large can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 to 1-lb. crisp, fried bacon (or small diced cooked ham)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 to 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- dash pepper
- dash Tabasco (optional)
- parsley flakes to sprinkle on top
bacon and green pepper.
together; pour mixture over cheese. Sprinkle with parsley.
White Cake Recipe
- 2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour Blend
- 1 2/3 cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large eggs whites plus 1 whole large egg
- 1 cup full-fat vanilla yogurt or 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup softened butter (2 sticks)
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch salt
- 3-4 tablespoons milk or half-and-half
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox (about every three weeks) and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.