Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
During a couples anniversary getaway with my cousin and her husband, we took a cooking class together. The menu featured foods that were part of the culture and region during that time as well as now.
Two very different recipes for Chocolate Pie
Here are two very different recipes for Chocolate Pie inspired by the book/movie, The Help. Each pie is rich, velvety-chocolaty and totally delicious!
Minny’s Chocolate Pie
- 1 9-inch pie crust (homemade or store bought)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (5 oz) can evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped cream for garnishing (optional)
Another chocolate pie recipe
Demetrie’s Chocolate Pie Recipe
Note: Do not use cocoa powder that contains powdered milk. The filling is very soft and extremely sweet. Serve straight from the refrigerator.
- 1 2/3 cups water
- 5 tablespoons sweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 14-ounce can sweetened, condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Graham cracker crust or pastry pie shell, baked
- Whipped cream, garnish
- Shaved chocolate, garnish
1. In a medium saucepan, mix the water, cocoa and cornstarch with a whisk until all the lumps are gone, making a paste. Stir in the condensed milk and egg yolks. Heat to just under a boil and stir until very thick.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir in the butter. Add vanilla and keep stirring well. Turn off the heat and let it cool some.
3. Pour into a pre-baked pie shell or small tart shell. Let the pie set up in a cool spot, like a plug-in refrigerator, covered with wax paper so you don’t get a skin. Serve with cream and shaved chocolate.
More recipes from our class
You may also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.