As a grandmom, I like to have fun activities for the kids when they are visiting. Interactive games for varied ages work well. These cute and colorful, Something Fishy matching memory game, provides hours of fun for kids while building recall, focusing and problem solving skills.
There are affiliate links in this post
Cognitive Development and Play
- Develops memory skills
- Encourages turn-taking and playing together
- Teaches problem-solving
- Requires focus skills
Something Fishy Matching Memory Game Playing Rules
The object of the game is to collect the most pairs of tiles. There are 32 tiles; 16 matching pairs.
- Shuffle the tiles and lay in rows, face down.
- The youngest player goes first and then moves around in a clockwise direction.
- First player turns over any two tiles.
- If the two tiles match, keep them.
- If they don’t match, turn them back over (in the same position).
- Remember what was on each card and where it was.
- Watch and remember during the other player’s turn.
- The game is over when all the tiles have been matched.
- The player with the most matches wins.
- For younger children, choose a smaller number of tiles to match. (Take out some of the more similar colored fish in this game) and increase the number of tiles as skill and confidence grows.
- Have little ones simply play with the tiles and find matches without tiles being face down.
- Talk about color. This is our youngest grandchild’s favorite part, as in… find a pink fish…
Watching the game, even the older kids became interested. Game time is a great family time activity.
Printing and laminating matching memory game tiles
Download the pages (link below). The matching tiles are best printed on card stock so the image does not show through. You don’t need to, but laminating the tiles make them durable and easier for little hands to play with. Print, cut them apart and laminate at home or head to your local business supply store to have them laminated. Using scissors or a paper trimmer, cut the laminated tiles apart leaving about 1/4-inch laminate border around the paper tile.
Store the matching memory cards in a small ziplock bag or plastic container.
At home laminating
It never dawned on me that I could laminate items at home until recently. I just ordered an affordable laminator with a high rating. I was so excited to receive it and even happier that it works so well! The laminator comes with a stater pack of pouches and you can also purchase additional thermal pouches.
Using scissors or a paper trimmer, cut the tiles apart.
Position the paper tiles on the laminating pouch leaving space between each; fold top layer of pouch over tiles.
Insert the pouch into the laminator leading with the sealed edge.
The laminated page will exit from the rear of the machine.
Using scissors or a paper trimmer cut the tiles apart leaving about 1/4-inch laminate border around the paper tile. All ready to begin play!
More fishy activities
I have included additional pages for more summertime fun. A fishy coloring page and a connect-the-dots page.
Get access to our Free Printable PDF by filling out the form below, click the check box for the printable and click ‘Download’. You will receive an email with the link to the PDF. Be sure to check your spam and promotion folders if you do not see the email in your inbox. It generally takes less than 30 minutes but if you don’t get it within 24 hours, let us know. Once you receive your email be sure to click the link to download the PDF to your phone or computer.
We are so glad you want to stay connected and welcome you to the GPTH community. As an added thank you, we will send you our GPTH Newsletter that publishes every three weeks to keep you up to date with new content.
For now, here is your download…
you might also like…
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my weekly email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.