An easy recipe, this soup is made with ground beef, carrots, onion, celery and peppers. It is very adaptable as you can see by the substitutions I made. It makes lots so share with a friend or freeze for another meal.
Hamburger Barley Vegetable Soup
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef (I only had 1/2 lb and it is still good)
- 6 c. water (I used 1 can of beef stock and added enough water to make 6 cups)
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- 2 c. sliced carrots
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped celery
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped green pepper (I substituted 1/2 of a small cabbage, chopped)
- 1/3 c. barley (I substituted cooked pasta)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained and broken up
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 c. ketchup
In 5 quart Dutch oven, brown ground beef and drain. Add all other ingredients, bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves.
Recipe states it yields 10 (1 1/2-cup) servings and it is even better the next day.
Plenty to share or freeze.
NOTE: if substituting pasta for the barley, cook it in a separate pot of boiling water. When done, drain and add the cooked pasta to the soup at the end of the soup cooking time so the pasta doesn’t get mushy.
you might also like…
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my weekly email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes, crafts and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.