It is delicious and both my husband and I commented how we liked the crunchy celery and corn!
Well, the small grocery store I went to did not have clam juice or mascarpone but that didn’t deter this queen of substitutions from forging ahead and making this yummy chowder for our supper.
Shrimp and Corn Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 large red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1/2 green sweet pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 32-oz chicken broth OR 2 cups water plus 2 8 ounce bottles clam juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay® seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1 pound large shrimp in shells, peeled (original recipe calls for 1.5-lbs) I used frozen
- 1 12 ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 8 ounce container mascarpone cheese (I used a block of cream cheese, cut into small pieces so it melts easily into hot soup)
- a couple squirts of Sriracha hot chili sauce (optional)
- 2 Tbs. sherry (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves (optional)
- salt & pepper, if desired
Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, celery, and sweet pepper. Cook and stir for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in flour until coated; cook for 1 minute. Add chicken broth, Bay seasoning, and basil. Bring to boil; reduce heat.
Stir in shrimp, corn, and capers. Cook for 2 to 5 minutes or until shrimp are bright pink. Remove from heat. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with fresh basil, if desired.
Another time I will make this recipe using the clam juice to see how it tastes, but we honestly liked it a lot made with the chicken broth. The two of us polished it off in just two days and as I type this, I am wishing for another bowlful 😉 I think the container of mascarpone, or even whipped cream cheese, would melt easier into the soup, but it all came together nicely with the substitutions I made.
you might also like…
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my weekly email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.