Full of dried fruit and topped with a burnt sugar syrup, Scripture Bread is delicious sliced and toasted for breakfast or snacking. Try deciphering the recipe ingredients using clues from Bible verses. This FREE printable is a great way to encourage kids to search Scripture.
Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Scripture cake bakes into a nice cake but I like to make it in small loaf pans. They are the perfect size for gifting and I also like to freeze them for the convenience of having to simply thaw as needed. If I slice a mini loaf before freezing, it is easy to pop a piece or two into the toaster for a quick snack.
The burnt sugar syrup is pretty amazing but it is a little messy in the toaster. If you prefer, leave a loaf or two plain and then spread a slice with sweet cinnamon butter.
How is your Bible knowledge?
I’m pretty sure you don’t have these verses all committed to memory. Turn baking into a biblical brainteaser and use scriptural references to guess the bread ingredients.
Download (below) and print the page then look the verses up in a Bible or on a Bible app. You won’t be able to come up with the exact ingredient list but you will be able to get most of them. See how well you do. Better yet, gather the kids and work on it together then have a baking session and make the bread.
So, how well did you do?
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup butter (Proverbs 30:33)
- 1 1/2 cup sugar (Jeremiah 6:20)
- 5 eggs, separated (Isaiah 10:14 )
- 3 cups sifted flour (1 Kings 4:22)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt (Leviticus 2:13)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder (Amos 4:5)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (Exodus 30:23)
- 1/4 teaspoon each 2 nutmeg, ginger, allspice (1 Kings 10:10 spices)
- 1/2 cup milk (Judges 4:19)
- 3/4 chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts (Genesis 43:11)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped figs (1 Samuel 30:11-12)
- 3/4 cup raisins (1 Samuel 30:11-12)
- 1/2 cup each chopped dried apricots and dates (1 Chronicles 16:3)
- Whole almonds for garnish (Numbers 17:8)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Grease 6 mini-loaf pans with non-stick spray.
- In a mixing bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In a bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and spices.
Mix flour mixture into butter and egg mixture, alternating with milk, just until flour is just blended in.
- In a third bowl, beat egg whites until stiff; fold into batter. I use a rotary egg beater in a 4-cup glass measuring cup instead of washing the mixer beaters and bowl.
- Fold in chopped nuts, figs, raisins, apricots and dates.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pans.
- Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45-55 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool. After a few minutes, turn breads out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle with Burnt Sugar Syrup.
Burnt Sugar Syrup
NOTE: If you are baking together with kids I suggest you make the syrup yourself. It is a little tricky and it gets very hot. The taste is amazing and worth the bother. Or, skip the syrup and sprinkle confectioners sugar on top and spread with sweet cinnamon butter.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar (Psalm 55:21)
- 1/2 cup water (Genesis 24:45)
- 1/4 cup butter (Genesis 18:8)
- In a heavy bottom, 2-quart saucepan over low heat, melt sugar, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. After sugar melts, continue cooking, stirring continuously, until it is a deep golden brown.
- Add water and cook, stirring frequently, until smooth.
- Remove from the heat, add butter and stir till until it melts; allow to cool.
Sweet Cinnamon Butter
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- With an electric mixer on smooch on a plate with a fork (my method) the soft butter, brown sugar and cinnamon until combined, creamy and smooth.
- Keep butter covered and refrigerated between uses.
Subscribe to get your FREE printable!
Get our GPTH Newsletter and get instant access to the Free Printable PDF. You will receive a link to the PDF via email within 24 hours. Be sure to check your spam and promotions folders if you do not see the email in your inbox.
You might also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.