Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Light Buttermilk Biscuits
- shortening for greasing the pan
- 9-ounces soft wheat, self-rising flour (I used King Arthur)
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chilled shortening (preferably zero trans-fat)
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk made by stirring together 1 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 cup 2% milk and measuring 3/4-cup for recipe
- 1/4 cup cold fat-free half & half
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Adjust oven rack to just above the middle position.
Grease an 8-inch round cake pan with shortening.
With a whisk, combine self-rising flour, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium-mixing bowl.
With a pastry cutter, work the shortening into the flour mixture until there are no shortening lumps larger than a big pea.
Stir in buttermilk and half & half, just until combined and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes to allow the liquid to be absorbed.
Spray a 2-inch ice cream scoop with cooking spray; Spoon dough onto baking pan beginning with one in the center.
Brush biscuits with melted butter, and bake until lightly browned, about 17 minutes.
Cool for 1 or 2 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a cooling rack.
You might also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.