a fun breakfast muffin.
I have been looking for a bread with some added texture and bite by the addition of seeds/grains. This recipe caught my eye because of the wild rice (which I love). I think this recipe has potential and plan to make it again but with a slight modification. Instead of baking in a loaf pan I will shape the dough and bake on a baking sheet so it can rise a bit more.
(recipe from BREAD MACHINE, How to Prepare and bake the perfect loaf by Jennie Shapter
1/4 cup wild rice
1-1/4 cups water
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 cups unbleached white bread flour
1/2 cups whole-wheat bread flour
1/2 cup polenta
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tbsp nonfat dry milk
2 tbsp light corn syrup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp rapid-rise yeast
1. Cook the rice in boiling salted water according to package directions. Drain, set aside and let cool to room temp.
2.Add ingredients to bread maker following the order your machine recommends.
3. Set the bread machine to dough setting and press start.
4. Add the cooked wild rice when the machine beeps or during the last 5 minutes of kneading. Lightly oil a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
5. When the dough cycle has finished, remove the dough from the bread machine; punch the dough down gently.
6. Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a mini-loaf, about 5″ long. Place the six mini-loaves widthwise, side-by-side into a prepared 9″x5″ loaf pan.
7. Cover the dough with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 30 – 45 minutes, until the dough almost reaches the top of the pan.
8. Bake at 425 for 30 – 35 minutes, until bread is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Turn out onto a cooling rack.
Here is Bakerella’s recipe:
Mini Maple Chocolate Chip Pancake Muffins.
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons melted butter
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a medium bowl. Sift together with a wire whisk.
- In another bowl, stir buttermilk, egg, maple syrup and melted butter until just combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a spoon until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips. Reserve a few chips to sprinkle on the tops.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes.
Makes 24 mini pancake muffins.
Let cool slightly and remove from the pan. You may need to use a toothpick around the edges to separate the pancake muffins from the pan.
Serve immediately with warmed butter if you like or even just with maple syrup.