This retro recipe, crowd-pleasing zesty dip never goes out of style. Onion Soup Horseradish and Bacon Dip is thick, creamy and stands up to fresh veggies, crackers and hearty chips. Serving for Super Bowl Sunday and cheering on our Philadelphia Eagles. Fly, Eagles, Fly!
My friend, Lynn from Happier Than a Pig in Mud is always serving up really tasty food or making adorable crochet creations. She recently shared a vintage recipe for dip that took me right back to childhood. My parents frequently got together on a Saturday evening with my aunt, uncle and friends to play the old Milton Bradley board game, Password. And my mom often served Lipton Onion Soup Dip.
There is something else about Lynn that I connect with. She loves her Philly sports teams and is an avid Philadelphia Eagles fan. And when Lynn tells me football calories don’t count, I believe her!
I slightly adapted the recipe Lynn shared by substituting half of the sour cream for cream cheese making a slightly thicker dip. Both versions are delicious.
Onion Soup Horseradish and Bacon Dip
Cook the bacon until crisp and prepare veggies of choice. If you love sugar snap peas as we do, you will want to blanch them. The result will be vibrant green snap peas with a crisp-tender texture that enhances their sweet flavor.
- Rinse the pea pods. Snap off the stem ends of the pods.
- Get a large bowl of ice water ready.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop the sugar snap peas into the pot of rapidly boiling water. Let them cook for just 1 1/2 minutes. Drain the sugar snap peas quickly in a colander.
Bring the cream cheese to room temperature and measure other ingredients.
After beating the cream cheese, mix in the sour cream, onion soup mix and horseradish.
Stir in the crumbled bacon. Spoon the dip into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerate. When game-time begins, serve the dip with crackers, chips and veggies.
Retro Onion Soup Horseradish and Bacon Dip
1 8-ounce package Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
8-ounce sour cream
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
1 Tablespoon horseradish (we like more horseredish)
6 slices bacon, fried until crisp and crumbled
Serve with veggies, chips or crackers
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, onion soup mix and horseradish; beat until smooth and combined. Stir in the crumbled bacon, reserving a little for garnish.
- Spoon the onion soup horseradish and bacon dip into a serving bowl, cover and refrigerated for a couple hours so flavors meld.
- NOTE: The cream cheese makes this dip thick and creamy and is good for scooping with crackers, bagel chips or tostitos. If you prefer a thinner dip, increase the sour cream and decrease the cream cheese.
If you like this recipe you may also want to check out:
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my weekly email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes, crafts and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.