It doesn’t get easier than this. Just because a dessert is simple to make and uses just a handful of ingredients doesn’t mean it isn’t wonderful. Classic apple crisp is full of tender apples with a topping of buttery brown sugar and cinnamon.
Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Old-fashioned goodness in every bite!
Preparing the topping for classic apple crisp
Combine the topping ingredients.
Using two knives or a pastry cutter, cut in the butter until crumbly.
Peel, core and slice the apples.
Add the prepared apples to a baking dish.
Spoon on the topping mixture and bake.
Serve classic apple crisp warm or room temperature with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Classic Apple Crisp Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, chilled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2-pounds, firm sweet apples (about 4 large apples)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt in a medium-size bowl. Using a pastry blender or whisk, toss until blended.
- Add, butter and cut in using the pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Peel the apples, cut in half and remove the core. (I like to use a melon baller to easily remove core). Slice apples into 1/2-inches slices. (You should have about 6-cups of apples)
- Fill a 8-inch by 8-inch square baking dish with the apples. Spoon the topping mixture evenly on top of the apples. Do not press down.
- Bake about 50 minutes, until the topping is browned, the apples are tender and the juices are bubbly.
- Remove from oven and let cook 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
If you like this recipe you might also enjoy:
Each issue of our Newsletter is timely and helpful and jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.