Do you sometimes want something a little different as a side dish with your burgers, chicken or other entrees? Not really in the mood for the same old salad? I have a suggestion. Apple carrot slaw. All of the creaminess of traditional coleslaw but with a different veggie.
Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Apple carrot slaw is an easy recipe especially nice for those busy days. Just toss the carrots, an apple, a few red onions and chiffonade basil leaves together with a creamy dressing for a fresh and healthy salad-like side dish.
Here’s how to make apple carrot slaw
Dice the red onion until you have a couple of tablespoons.
Grated, matchstick or Julienne carrots
You can shred the carrots for this recipe using a box grater, but I really like the extra crunchiness of the thin carrot sticks. I found matchstick carrots in the grocery store but you can Julienne them yourself. It is a little time consuming so I try to purchase them already cut. If you want to cut the carrots yourself here is how:
- Using a 1 1/2 to 2-inch piece of peeled carrot, cut off the four sides to form a rectangle.
- Cut the carrot into equal slices, lengthwise.
- Stack the slices evenly, then cut through the stacks to form matchsticks.
- Continue cutting the remaining pieces of carrot until you reach the desired amount.
Make the dressing
In a medium-size bowl, stir together the mayonnaise, vinegar (I used rice vinegar) and the honey.
Core and thinly slice the apple.
Add the carrots, apple slices and chopped onion to the mayo mixture. Stir to combine.
Chiffonade fresh basil leaves
The term sounds complicated but it is simple to chiffonade basil.
- Just place a few leaves, one atop each other, stacking them up neatly.
- Roll up the stack of leaves tightly.
- Use a sharp knife to slice across the roll of basil leaves creating thin ribbons. That’s it!
Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper as desired.
Apple Carrot Slaw
- 4 ounces carrots, matchstick, grated or Julienned
- 1 apple, unpeeled, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 4 teaspoons rice vinegar, cider vinegar or regular
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, sliced thinly
In a medium bowl, combine the mayonnaise, vinegar and honey.
Add the carrots, apple slices and chopped onion. stir to combine. Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper as desired.
You might also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.