- It is a myth that dogs are color blind. They can actually see in color, just not as vividly as humans. It is akin to our vision at dusk.
- Dogs DO have better low-light vision than humans because of a special light-reflecting layer behind their retinas
- A German Shepherd guide dog led her blind companion the entire 2100 mile Appalachian Trail
- If never spayed or neutered, a female dog, her mate, and their puppies could product over 66,000 dogs in 6 years!
- Dogs’ only sweat glands are between their paw pads
- Like human babies, Chihuahuas are born with a soft spot in their skull which closes with age
- The breed Lundehune has 6 toes and can close its ears
- Teddy Roosevelt’s dog, Pete, ripped a French ambassador’s pants off at the White House
- President Lyndon Johnson had two beagles named Him and Her
- Franklin Roosevelt spent $15,000 for a destroyer to pick up his Scottie in the Aleutian Islands
- In Roman times, mastiffs donned light armor and were sent after mounted knights
- The Russians trained dogs during WWII to run suicide missions with mines strapped to their backs
- A dog’s mouth exerts 150-200 pounds of pressure per square inch
- … with some dogs exerting up to 450 pounds per square inch.
- A one year old dog is as mature, physically, as a 15 year old human
- The U.S. has the highest dog population in the world
- France has the 2nd highest
- The average city dog lives 3 years longer than a country dog
- 87% of dog owners say their dog curls up beside them or at their feet while they watch T.V.
- Dogs can be trained to detect epileptic seizures
- 15 people die in the U.S. every year from dog bites
- In 2002 alone, more people in the U.S. were killed by dogs than by sharks in the past 100 years
- Gidget is the name of the Taco Bell dog
- Newfoundlands are great swimmers because of their webbed feet
- Basset Hounds cannot swim
- Greyhounds are the fastest dogs on earth, with speeds of up to 45 miles per hour
- Bingo is the name of the dog on the side of the Cracker Jack box
- The bible mentions dogs 14 times
- Three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic – a Newfoundland, a Pomeranian, and a Pekingese
- The Labrador Retriever is the #1 favorite breed in the U.S., Canada, and the U.K.
- Obesity is the #1 health problem among dogs
- An estimated 1,000,000 dogs in the U.S. have been named as the primary beneficiaries in their owner’s will
- An American Animal Hospital Assoc. poll found that 33% of dog owners admit to talking to their dogs on the phone and leaving answering machine messages for them while away
- Dog’s nose prints are as unique as a human’s finger prints and can be used to accurately identify them
- At the end of the Beatles’ song “A Day in the Life”, a high-pitched dog whistle was recorded by Paul McCartney for his sheepdog
- 70% of people sign their pet’s name on greeting and holiday cards
- 58% put pets in family and holiday portraits
- There are only 350 Cisky Terriers in the world – perhaps the rarest breed
- The phrase “raining cats and dogs” originated in 17th century England when it is believed that many cats and dogs drowned during heavy periods of rain.
Click to read the rest of 102 Weird Facts You Never Knew About Dogs
Just a few of the movies featuring dogs… my favorite are the first two.
Visit Hey Harriet for more Shadow Shot Sunday!
Such fun photos of Raider…he sure looks comfy. Loved all the facts you shared…dogs are truly amazing creatures. A friend of mine takes her pup to visit the folks at a local assisted living center. They go every Thursday and it's definitely a highlight of the week for the residents The dog is really getting to know each person she visits. She knows who will want to play a little catch with her and who will want her to be a lap dog for a little while. She's the very best thing in so many of their lives.
The Watts Family says
I love the pictures I think you captured so much character in your dogs face although I am sure he looks like he has quite the personality on his own. I really need to get a new camera have you noticed my pictures looking worse each time I post lol!! Not to long ago we dropped the camera in some french toast with syrup needless to say the buttons are a little sticky….I have just not being having any luck with my electronics. Just the other day I also dropped my itouch in my cup of coffee ugh!! and broke it of course. Your photography is beautiful I always enjoy looking at your pictures. ~Blessings Love Heather
A cutie patootie shadow maker for sure! Fun facts too.
I was thinking the same thing as Abounding Treasures, how photogenic Raider is. Great shots. I love those dog facts, very interesting
Abounding Treasures says
Great shots ~ Raider is very photogenic :o)
crochet lady says
Love those shots of your pup. He (hope I got that right) is such a handsome fellow.
It was fun reading those dog facts, I think I learned a few things.
I once knew a dog that ate anything red in the laundry basket …..
Linda C says
Oh so sweet pictures of your doggy! He looks so comfy there:)
Interesting facts- very interesting stuff!!
And I LOVE all of those movies! Especially The Fox and the Hound- our favorite movie quote is "I'm a Hound Dog!" when he is so little:) I love their little voices in the movie:)
Reminds me to pull out that movie the next time our little grand Sam is here- He loves doggies.
Have a great weekend:)
Raider looks gorgeous, he is such a poser!