A family favorite dessert
Serve the trifle in a large, clear glass bowl if you have one. All the layers look too pretty to hide. A trifle bowl, salad bowl, crystal bowl or even a punch bowl all work.
Sometimes I make an Angel Food cake from a box but the grocery store usually has prepared ones in the bakery section. Often I will pick up two and store the extra one in the freezer so I have it available when I want a quick dessert.
Angel food cake is light in calories but there are a few things that can be done to really lighten the calories in this dessert. Instead of whipping cream, substitute an 8-ounce container of thawed, lite or sugar-free frozen whipped topping. It works perfectly. Use peaches in light or extra-light syrup and sugar-free pudding. Though I haven’t tried it, I suppose you could even use sugar-free jam or a fruit spread.
However you make it, it is a lovely dessert!
Peach Melba Trifle
- 1 (14 oz.) can Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 1 1/2 c. water
- 1 (3 1/2 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
- 2 c. (1 pt.) whipping cream, whipped
- 1/4 c. plus 1 tbsp. orange juice
- 1 (10 oz.) prepared angel food cake, torn into small pieces (about 8 c.)
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh peaches, pared and sliced or 1 (29 oz.) can sliced peaches, drained
- 1/4 c. red raspberry preserves
- Toasted almonds and additional preserves, optional
- In large bowl, combine Eagle Brand and water; mix well. Add pudding mix; beat until well blended. Chill 5 minutes. Fold in whipped cream and 1 tbsp. orange juice.
- Place 4 cups cake pieces in a 2-quart glass serving bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tbsp. orange juice. Top with half the peach slices, 1/4 cup preserves and half the pudding mixture.
- Repeat layering with remaining cake, juice, peaches and pudding; chill.
- Garnish with almonds and additional preserves, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
FREE gift for subscribers!
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll love my weekly email. Subscribe to have updates delivered to your inbox and receive FREE gifts available exclusively for subscribers. Don’t miss new content with recipes and ideas to inspire & encourage you. We would love for you to join our community. Just click the subscribe button below.