Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
Why it is important to brush your dog’s teeth
- Keeping your dog’s teeth brushed helps prevent plaque and tartar buildup just as it does for humans.
- The same complications of dental problems that can lead to life-threatening infections in humans such as heart, liver, and kidney disease effects dogs as well.
- Besides wanting my sweet Raider to be in good health, I really don’t want to pay the costly fees to have a thorough dental cleaning by the veterinarian.
- Now, each evening, after his last meal of the day, Raider gets his teeth brushed.
- It isn’t as difficult as I thought it would be and he doesn’t seem to mind at all, even though he looks less-than-pleased in the photo below 😉
- The hardest part is getting the fur around his mouth out of the way.
How to brush your dog’s teeth
Tips to help your dog acclimate to brushing
- If your dog is reluctant, uncomfortable or frightened, the ASPCA has steps and tips to acclimate him and make the experience pleasant.
- Start by getting your dog used to the process. Gently massage her gums with your finger for a minute or so for a time before moving on to introducing the brush helps.
- When she seems comfortable, introduce the toothbrush. We cut the bristles down on a soft, child’s toothbrush but you can purchase one specially designed for your dog.
- Be positive and patient, giving lots of gentle praise.
- Home care is a great way to keep your dog’s teeth clean. But be sure to have routine checks with the vet to be sure everything is looking good.
You might also like…
(a heart condition that cause the death of our schnauzer)
Each issue of our Newsletter is timely, helpful and jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.