My dear friend, Susan told me about something she made at a Flower Camp she attended with another friend. I was looking for a craft project to make with the kids for a garden themed birthday party I was planning for my granddaughter and her friends and cousins. This sweet fresh flower ice-cream sundae arrangement was a perfect craft project for little girls!
Cute, huh! And just the kind of project that turns out well for kids giving them a sense of accomplishment without being too difficult or boring. It isn’t a messy project and nothing that might stain or ruin their clothing or surroundings.
Because the glass is clear and I didn’t want the oasis to show, I had pre-cut pieces of white plastic, cut from the bags you get when shopping. It was free and worked for what I needed. Older kids could add the plastic and then inset the foam themselves. Littler one might benefit if this step is already done for them.
If you have pitchers of water ready, bigger kids can pour the water into their vase. If you think it easier for the littler ones, have the foam wet already.
Here is the list of supplies you will want to gather to make
Fresh Flower Ice-Cream Sundaes
- Ice-cream vase or something similar
- Bend-y straws
- Floral foam for fresh flowers (pre-cut and pre-moistened if needed) Another option is to fill the vases with those little floral marbles/beads
- Bunches of flowers like carnations or Mums ( pre-snipped the stems to about 4-inches long and had the foam in each glass. I could have let the kids do this themselves but for the sake of time and the littler ones, I did it ahead.
- Little red flowers (or tiny pom-pom’s) for the cherry on top (I snipped red impatients from my kitchen window box)
- Squares of white plastic so the green floral foam doesn’t show through the clear glass (I cut white WM bags) I would double this next time.
- Scissors and garden clippers
NOTE: We didn’t do this for the birthday party craft, but my friend said they lined the top edge of the cup/vase with green leaves before adding the carnations. I’m sure that would look pretty too.
means if you buy something from that link, I will earn a small commission, but
it won’t cost you anything additional.
Just a little something from Judy says
A beautiful, low calorie dessert…how clever! Love the smiles on the little one's faces as they create. Great idea! I may copy this.
haha too cute! what a fun project for the girls, i know i would've loved this activity as a kid too (and even know i suppose haha)
love the photos with the girls sucking on the straws or their 'sundae' haha!
So fun! Pictures are great and captured it all. You are a great Mom-Mom!
Beautiful idea and totally non-fattening!
Those are cute! I've never seen anything like these. The last pic of Keri is great!
Lorraine- What a darling idea for little girls. I love it and it is an idea I will probably "steal"…thanks- xo Diana
How adorable that is and those are
some beautiful girls there!