Here is my recipe
1 large egg plus enough water to equal 1 cup 2 Tablespoons
1/4 cup butter at room temp.
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups Bread flour (add a little more if dough seems too wet)
3 tbsp. nonfat Dry milk
3-5 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. bread machine yeast
If Desired: 5-6 raw eggs, dyed and brought to room temperature (I have found if the eggs are cold, they will not cook completely during the baking time for the bread)
- Place dough ingredients in bread pan in order listed above
- Set on Basic Dough
- When cycle is completed, remove dough from bread pan onto a lightly floured board.
- Cover with inverted bowl and allow to rest 15 minutes.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll each piece into a log about 24-inches long.
- Pinch top edges together and begin braiding each piece over the other.
- Form into a circle and pinch ends together.
- Transfer to a baking sheet sprayed with PAM.
- Gently snuggle each egg into the dough. It helps to make an indentation with your fingers so the egg sits deep enough.
- Cover; let rise in a warm, draft-free place 1 hour or until double in size.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
In addition, you may want to drizzle on a glaze made of 1/2 cup confectioners sugar, 1/2 tsp. melted butter, splash of almond extract and a few grains of salt stirred with a bit of milk, water or orange juice to desired consistency.
* I have made two smaller breads by cutting the dough from the bread machine in half and then proceeding by cutting each of those in half to begin braiding. You will probably want to reduce the baking time to about 18-20 minutes.