Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We will only recommend products we use, love or think are informative and helpful.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg, separated
- 3 tablespoons honey
- *1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Stir together until smooth:
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 tsp melted butter
- pinch salt
- 1-2 Tbs. cream or milk (for desired consistency)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, beat egg yolk (reserving the white) with honey and buttermilk until blended. Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring lightly only until dough clings together.
Using floured hands, lightly shape dough into a flattened ball. Roll or pat out on a floured board or silpat baking mat, to a circle about 1/2-inch thick and 8 1/2 inches in diameter. Using a floured knife, cut 8 or 12 equal wedges. Place slightly apart on a greased or non-stick baking sheet.
In a small bowl, beat egg white slightly to a froth.
In another bowl, blend 1 tablespoon sugar and cinnamon. Brush scones lightly with egg white, then sprinkle them with the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Frost, if desired.
* To make buttermilk at home, measure 1 Tablespoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice or 1 Tablespoon vinegar into a glass measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup total liquid. Stir to combine and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture will begin to thicken and curdle. Use as needed in recipe, or cover and refrigerate until needed.
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.