Facts about the Swallow-Tail Butterfly source
- The short ‘tails’ on the hind-wings is where this beautiful butterfly takes it’s name.
- Males and females often have completely different wing colors and patterns.
- There are over 500 species of Swallowtail butterfly worldwide.
- The caterpillar exudes unpleasant chemicals from a forked gland to protect itself.
- Wingspan: 4.4 – 20 cm; Caterpillar length: 6 – 7 cm
- Number of eggs: 100 – 200
- Caterpillar stage: Approx 30 days
- Lifespan: A few weeks as an adult
More about butterflies
You might also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.