Truckload of topsoil has been shoveled.
Mountain of mulch (that still didn’t go far enough) has been spread.
New berm created (to replace lost grass)
Walkway extended (for better footpath)
Perennials divided and relocated. (for low budget goal)
(billions) of weeds pulled
Watering system in place. (sort of)
Chicken wire installed (not soon enough for some plants)
Two (4′ x 8′) Square Foot Raised bed created (one for herbs and veggies and one as a cutting garden)
Leftover pieces of sod from daughter used to patch lawn.
Wheelbarrow and shovels returned to their place in the shed.
Knee pads and work gloves stowed.
Time required for project: grossly underestimated.
South side of house with ginormous Trumpet vine planted just for hummingbirds (and privacy).
I have had climbing roses, grapes, Morning Glories and Clematis on the arbor by the door and eventually everything loses its vigor. I just cut to the ground a clematis and already see new growth bursting forth.
I pulled out my Flowering Almond too.
(It was located between the two bottom windows)
It is most beautiful covered in tiny pink flowers in the early spring (that last for a week) but then just looks untidy and unattractive for the rest of the year.
It has a new home in a less noticeable place in the back yard.
(Eastern Exposure ~ back of house) Small cutting garden currently filled with one of my favorite… Cleome.
These pretty flowers self-seed. I gathered some tiny
plant-lets from the back and transplanted them here.
Next spring I will give more attention to what I might grow.
This old wheelbarrow has many miles on it! It has hauled dirt, mulch, fireplace wood every fall and quite a few kids in its lifetime.
This is the back edge of our property. The wheelbarrow is parked right in front of our tiny pond that we fill with goldfish.
(North side) Hydrangeas just beginning to bloom.
With all of those buds it looks like it will be an abundant year.
The beginning (April)
Finished end of June!
All hard work brings a profit,
but mere talk leads only to poverty.