Family tradition Filled Turnover Cookies
Filled Turnover Cookies
Yield: about 4 1/2 dozen cookies
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- Jam for filling (Peach, apricot and cherry are our favorite)
- milk or light cream
- decorative sugar
- Maraschino cherries, drained and cut into quarters
- With a mixer, mix thoroughly shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and soda. Blend this into the shortening mixture.
- Wrap in plastic. Chill 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll dough 1/16th inch thick on lightly floured cloth-covered board or counter top.
- Cut into 3 inch circles.
- Spoon about 1/2 teaspoon jam on half of each circle.
- Fold dough over filling press edges together. Crimp with a fork.
- Place 1-inch apart on ungreased baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with milk or cream. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Press a piece of Maraschino into the dough.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until very light brown.
- Remove immediately from baking sheet to a cooling rack.
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.