High Altar Screen – Southwark cathedral, 1520 AD
The Great Screen
This magnificent screen was erected by Bishop Fox of Winchester in 1520. Although the general appearance of the screen, with three broad rich bands of carvings and statuary, is that of the original, most of the detail is from later periods.
Whether all the original statues were ever installed is uncertain, as the screen was completed within a decade of the Reformation when such statues were forbidden. The small carvings of the Lamb of God and the pelican (a badge of Bishop Fox) immediately above the rows of angels are probably original, as are some of the bases of the niches. The small carvings in the corners of the two doorways, showing hunting scenes, may also be original.
Model of the church and old Westminster Palace
The Humble Monument portrays Alderman Richard Humble and his two wives.
The Retro-choir, built from 1215-1260 and is the oldest complete part of Southwark Cathedral.
The Retro-choir is thought by many to be the loveliest part of the Cathedral, with superb spatial qualities. The design is 13th century Early English
view from the retro-choir down the south choir
the floor of the Retro-choir.
The Lady Chapel
south aisle nearing south west entrance
late afternoon sunbeams
outside Southwark Cathedral
Roman Road 1st century AD
Near the entrance to the cafe and shop is part of the archaeological excavations left open for public display. Excavations around Southwark Cathedral in 1999 revealed part of a Roman road, foundations of the original Norman Priory wall, a 13th century medieval stone coffin and part of a late 17th century ‘Delft’ pottery kiln made of brick, one of the few surviving arched kilns found in Europe. source
Finally, after walking more than seven miles this day, we relaxed and ate dinner in a pub near our hotel.