- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ*
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds (I use less)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400°. Butter standard muffin tin.
In a large bowl, stir together flour, wheat germ, poppyseeds, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg and melted butter until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spoon into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds full.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 15-18 minutes.
Cool in the tins for 3 minutes, then remove.
* If you prefer to omit the wheat germ, increase the amount of flour to 2 cups. (I have substituted 1/2 cup oatmeal for the wheat germ with good results)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch of salt
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk briskly until smooth and well blended. If glaze is too stiff, beat in a few drops more juice. Brush or spoon over muffins while still warm.