To dress up sweet potatoes I do just a little bit more.
Lightly Candied Baked Sweet Potatoes
Preparing sweet potatoes
- Begin by scrubbing and drying the sweet potatoes.
- Arrange on a silicone or foil covered shallow baking pan.
- Apply a light mist of baking spray or rub each potato with shortening or olive oil.
- Using a sharp pairing knife, poke through the skins on the top of the potatoes.
- Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for about 30 minutes (depending of the size) until just barely tender.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool until easy to handle.
- Make a small slit in the skin; remove and discard.
- Cut each potato into uniform slices.
Candied sweet potatoes
- Heat a large frying pan (or two if making a large amount as I did) over medium heat.
- Melt a teaspoon of butter; add the potato slices and cook until the the edges get a nice browned edge and are tender but not mushy.
- Reduce heat; season with salt and pepper, grated nutmeg and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Add a splash of orange juice and gently turn until brown sugar is melted and potatoes have a thin glaze.
- Transfer to a serving dish and top with snipped parsley.
If you like a thicker glaze with more juice coating your sweet potatoes, you can add additional butter and brown sugar.
Baked sweet potatoes are a perfect side for a classic baked ham.
More Easter ideas you might also like…
Our Newsletter is published once every three weeks. Each issue is timely and helpful, jam-packed with food, crafts, occasional DIY, gardening and faith resources. Relevant and seasonal posts to inspire and guide you with current trends. Available only to those who request it, so please accept our invitation to stay connected and join the Grateful Prayer Thankful Heart community. Just click the subscribe button below.